Thursday, December 17, 2009

Three Churches in Michigan Leave Kalamazoo's Homeless Ministry Over LGBT Issues


One of eight churches that participates in Martha's Table, a local homeless ministry which provides meals for Kalamazoo's poor and homeless population gave its nod of approval to this year's anti-discrimination bill protecting the Kalamazoo GLBTQ community from some types of discrimination. They also minister to anyone regardless of their sexuality. They ascribe to the idea of "hate the sin, love the sinner" which many Christian groups speak of. In my opinion, they did the right thing.

But the fallout from their tolerance is that three Kalamazoo area churches (out of a total of eight) are withdrawing from the homeless ministry and meals program. They are doing so to avoid sullying their reputations by associating with a church that doesn't support discrimination against homosexual, bisexual, or transgendered people.

I think this is insanely petty and it sickens me that people are that shallow.

You can read more about it at MLive.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kylyssa:

I live just 50 miles away from evangelical central, Lynchburg, VA's Thomas Road Baptist Church, and after living in Roanoke all my life, I have seen what these hateful churches are capable of.

For instance in the mid-1980's in the height of the AIDS crisis in this country; the purging of 30+ year old unmarried men out of congregations, kicking out church members who contracted AIDS, many of whom then committed suicide.

This latest act of hatred comes as no suprise to me. I hope the other churches can pick up the slack from the three churches who decided to be anti-Christian.

Laura said...

This stuff never ceases to amaze me. But what amazes me the most is how I am constantly amazed.

Unreal.