Thursday, May 21, 2009

Why I Live With Fundies




I've gotten a few messages and emails lately asking why I worked with conservative Christians if I don't like Christian fundamentalism. One asked why I didn't "just find another f-ing job." A few similar, but more polite messages asked the same question.

There are some areas of the country where there is a large conservative Christian population. If you live in one of those areas, and would like to have a place to work, chances are that you will work with, if not for, Christian fundamentalists.

So why don't I just move to a nice liberal area where gay bashing and atheist bashing aren't popular activities? Somewhere where no one says Methodists, Lutherans, and Catholics aren't Christians?

I can't afford to move anywhere. I'm broke. Florists make crap wages anyway and then I got really sick - seizures, high fevers, chronic pain, loss of consciousness, and all sorts of other unpleasantness.

I am no longer working with fundies. I am a freelance writer. However, this isn't because I couldn't handle conservative Christians at work anymore, it was because I couldn't work an all day standing job (like a floral designer does) any more.

As to why I'm poor - it's hard to earn a living as a freelance writer and I'm still learning. Also, though I can write sitting down, I still need to take more breaks than a healthy person would especially since anything I write with a high fever ends up looking as if it were written in an alien tongue.







3 comments:

vjack said...

I get the "why don't you just move?" question all the time. I suppose it is a fair question to ask an atheist living in Mississippi, but it misses the point. Why should I have to move? Moving is expensive, requires starting over at a new job (not to mention finding one), and involves all sorts of other hassles.

actonbell said...

Vjack, I hear you:) I live in centra PA, an area that people humorously refer to as Mississippi, because it does seem to be an enclave for evangelicals & polical conservatives. I often wish that I didn't live here, but--this is where my family and our jobs are.

If everyone could/would just run away based on how they feel about stuff, we'd end up segregating ourselves again. And of course we have the right to be where we are, dammit!

Good luck with your writing, Kylyssa.

actonbell said...

That's "central" and "political." I'm droppin' letters everywhere...